Town of Clayton Water Tower at Sunset
Welcome the Town of Clayton, North Carolina

April 28 is Household Hazardous Waste Collection Day in Johnston County


Need to get rid of some household chemicals, old batteries or leftover medicine?

Drop them off at the Johnston County Household Hazardous Waste Collection Day, scheduled for 8 a.m. to 1 p.m. Saturday, April 28 at the Johnston County Livestock Arena. That’s located at 520 County Home Road, next to the landfill in Smithfield – about a 20 minute drive from Downtown Clayton.

Residents of Johnston County may drop off up to 100 pounds of hazardous materials per household in containers of five gallons or less. Unlabeled chemicals used in the home or yard are allowed, and materials in leaky or otherwise damaged containers should be transferred into safer vessels for transportation and drop-off.

Here's a list of what you can drop off:

  • Personal Care Products: Such as perfume, aftershave, hand sanitizer, hairspray, rubbing alcohol, nail polish and nail polish remover.
  • Household Cleaners for Bathrooms, Kitchens and Windows: These can contain bleach, ammonia, acids, caustics, alcohol and other hazardous chemicals.
  • Household Batteries: Various types including alkaline, nickel-cadmium, nickel-metal hydride and lithium. Lead-acid car batteries not included and should be taken to the Johnston County Landfill.
  • Prescription and Over-The-Counter Medicine: Although intended for human consumption, leaving leftover drugs around the house can lead to accidental poisonings and abuse.
  • Oil-Based Paints, Deck Stains, Varnishes and Thinners: Water-based paints, such as latex and acrylics, are not hazardous and will not be accepted. Instead, mix those with sand, dirt or kitty litter and throw them in the garbage.
  • Solvents, Paint Strippers and Degreasers
  • Automotive Fluids for Brakes, Transmissions, Hydraulics, Windshield Washing and Gear Oil
  • Gasoline, Diesel, Kerosene and Lighter Fluid
  • Liquid Propane Tanks
  • Solvent-Based Adhesives and Glues: Unless they have hardened, in which case you can throw them in the garbage.
  • Aerosol Paints, Products and Lubricants
  • Hobby and Craft Supplies: Solvent-based paints, adhesives and lacquers; ceramic glazes containing lead or cadmium; lead used in fishing lures; photographic chemicals, film, fixers and developers.
  • Pesticides and Herbicides
  • Furniture Polish, Shoe Polish and Waxes: These materials are flammable and possibly combustible.
  • Fluorescent Lights and Bulbs
  • Thermostats and Thermometers: These contain mercury.
  • Swimming Pool Chemicals: Including chlorine and oxidizers, such as calcium hypochlorite.
  • Drain Cleaner
  • Concrete Cleaner

Some items and substances WILL NOT be accepted because they can be recycled year round at the Johnston County Landfill and the Solid Waste Convenience Sites located around the county. That list includes:

  • Used Motor Oil and Filters
  • Electronics of Any Kind
  • Lead-Acid Car Batteries
  • Empty Fire Extinguishers
  • Used Antifreeze
  • Asbestos (Call 919-938-4750)

Other items are ineligible because they can be discarded in the garbage. That includes hardened glues and adhesives, along with cooking oil and grease and latex and acrylic paints, which should be mixed with kitty litter, sand or dirt before throwing away. If you need to get rid of explosives or ammunition, call the Johnston County Sheriff's Office at 919-989-5010. Call the manufacturer for disposal instructions if you have radioactive materials, such as smoke detectors and many cardiac pacemakers.

The Household Hazardous Waste Collection Day is put on by the Johnston County Cooperative Extension Service, Johnston County Sheriff’s Office and N.C. Department of Agriculture & Consumer Service’s Pesticide Disposal Assistance Program. The Town of Clayton is not involved in organizing the program, but we encourage our residents to take advantage of the service.

In addition to serving homeowners, the event is also an opportunity for farmers to dispose of agricultural chemicals, such as pesticides, for no charge. Farmers looking to get rid of large quantities of chemicals are asked to call ahead for accommodations to the NC-DACS at 919-733-3556 or the compliance division of the Johnston County Department of Solid Services at 919-938-4747. 

This program WILL NOT accept commercial, industrial or institutional waste. 

Click here to find the answers to frequently asked questions. For more info, call the Johnston County Department of Solid Waste Services at 919-938-4750.

back to list
Latest News
Video Gallery
© Town of Clayton All Rights Reserved