Welcome the Town of Clayton, North Carolina

The Town of Clayton Water and Sewer Department maintains more than 100 miles of water lines and 100 miles of sewer lines to provide service to around 17,000 residents.

This department is responsible for the maintenance of existing lines, installation of new lines and are the people you see out making repairs when necessary.

Questions about your bill?

Contact Utilities & Billing at 919-553-5002 or visit them online.

Emergency After Hours?

In the event of an after hours emergency: water leak, sewer back up, damaged stop sign, power outage, etc. contact us at 919-553-1530, then listen to the prompt for further instructions.  Our after hours personnel will respond quickly and professionally to your emergency.


North Carolina 811Before you dig on your property, remember there may be hidden power, water, cable, phone or other service lines underground!  Call 811 to schedule this FREE service to mark your property and avoid any damage to service lines.

Annual Water Treatment

Every year, federal AND state law REQUIRES Johnston County to change the way your water is treated. In the Clayton area (including Town of Clayton, Aqua & Carolina Water Service customers), water is normally treated with a combination of chlorine and ammonia. However, for 6 weeks in late February and March, ONLY chlorine will be used. The water is safe to drink and use but there may be a slight odor or discoloration. Learn more about the annual treatment here.

Annual Water Quality Report

Before July 1 each year, we publish a water quality report.  This report can be accessed at anytime on on our website or you can request a paper copy be mailed to your address by calling 919-553-1530.  There are two reports, one for Riverwood and one for the rest of the Town of Clayton because they are served by two different Johnston County systems.

This map shows the two different areas the Town serves.

Annual Wastewater System Performance Report

Each fiscal year, the Town creates a report showing the performance of our Little Creek Water Reclamation Facility.  This report details how many gallons of water treated, how many spills, how many gallons of reclaimed water was delivered at Pine Hollow Golf Course, as well as other aspects of the wastewater treatment facility.

2018-2019 Annual Report
2017-2018 Annual Report

Fats, Oil and Grease

Grease Trap Cleaning Variance Request

Not Down the Drain

No Abajo Del Dren En Espanol













Water Hardness

Water Hardness

The typical level of hardness for the water coming into Clayton is 30mg/L.  Many people are concerned about the hardness of their water. Hard water requires more soap and synthetic detergents for home laundry and washing, and contributes to scaling in pipes, boilers and industrial equipment. Hardness is caused by compounds of calcium and magnesium, and by a variety of other metals.

General guidelines for classification of waters are: 0 to 60 mg/L (milligrams per liter) of calcium carbonate is classified as soft; 61 to 120 mg/L as moderately hard; 121 to 180 mg/L as hard; and more than 180 mg/L as very hard.

Water Meters


Your water meter is generally located near the street in front of your home and is housed in a cast iron box, usually marked "water."  Carefully remove the lid by using a tool such as a large screwdriver. Please do not use your fingers. Locate and wipe-off the meter gauge, but be aware before sticking your hand into the meter box as spiders and other bugs find these underground boxes great places to hang out - please use caution if you need to reach down to clear off the meter for reading. In order to manually read your own meter, just subtract the number you see on the meter from what is listed on the water bill to find out what your water usage is since the last read.  Please call the Utilities & Billing Department at 919-553-5002  and the Town of Clayton can have someone come and re-read your meter or deal with any issues you may find.


In searching for your meter box, you may discover that you are unable to locate it because it is covered by grass, rocks, vegetation, mulch, etc.  It is VERY IMPORTANT to make sure that the meter box lid is uncovered and visible at all times.  This will ensure accurate reads by the Town of Clayton for accurate billing.  Also, do not plant vegetation next to the meter.  This will help to keep debris and roots from entering the meter box and possibly damaging the meter or the water line.

Sewer Maintenance

Sewer MaintenanceSewer lines can get clogged with foreign objects, like too much toilet paper, grease and oil. It can also be invaded by roots. Click here to see how you can prevent expensive sewer back ups at your home! The Town of Clayton wants to make sure that sewer mains flow free. While the Town of Clayton can check the Main Line for back-ups and clear that line, it is you, as the owner/resident, who are responsible for unclogging the sewer service line, which is the line that run from our main to your house. Periodic replacement of the service line may be necessary and must be completed by either through the Town or a licensed Utility Contractor.

Sewer clean outs are the property owner/resident’s responsibility.  It is a violation of the Town Ordinance to leave the cap off and let sewage out or rain water into the service line.  By maintaining your lines and clean out, you can help the Town provide better, consistent service.  If, however, you have had a contractor check your lines and you feel the problem is at the sewer main, please call (919) 553-1530 so that we can inspect the main lines in the street.

Filling swimming pools

Filling Swimming PoolsCall Utilities & Billing first and get a meter reading before you start and after you finish. Then you can just use your tap.  By calling ahead you can avoid being charged the typical sewer charges as well as the charge for the water used to fill the pool.



Helpful Information

For more information about potential contaminants and related health effects, call the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency’s Safe Drinking Water Hotline at (800) 426-4791.  Information on lead in drinking water, testing methods, and steps you can take to minimize exposure is available from the Safe Drinking Water Hotline or click here for more information.

For more information relating to your water and sewer utility, please contact the Utility Service Superintendent at 919-553-1530 or send an e-mail.

Latest News
  • The new field is part of a partnership between the Town and the high school, which will help expand recreational and community involvement opportunities for both parties. The Town of Clayton and C...

  • Clayton Fire Department is eagerly awaiting the completion of its newest asset, the ladder truck. The ladder truck is a valuable addition to the Fire Department's assembly of trucks and engines, and ...

  • Johnston County Public Utilities Boil Water Advisory September 10, 2021 A BOIL WATER ADVISORY FOR ALL ARCHER LODGE WATER DISTRICT CUSTOMERS has been issued for ALL Subdivisions along NC 42 betwe...

  • The Town of Clayton Human Resources Department officially welcomed a new HR Director this week. Kenya Walls began her new role as the Director of Human Resources on Aug. 30. She will be taking ove...

Video Gallery
© Town of Clayton All Rights Reserved