Click here for news from your hometown library!
No baking class needed, just a library card. Hocutt-Ellington Memorial Library will take part in the Big Library Read program, the world’s largest global eBook reading club through libraries that connects millions of readers around the world with the same eBook at the same time. Our users will be able to borrow the eBook, Art of the Pie: one of 2016’s best cookbooks from pie-guru Kate McDermott, starting Thursday, March 16 and concluding on Thursday, March 30 by visiting claytonnc.overdrive.com. Big Library Read is facilitated by OverDrive, the leading platform for eBooks and audiobooks from the library.
An in-house book discussion will meet on Thursday, March 30, at 6:00 p.m., in the library's meeting room. For more information, please email ClaytonLibrary@TownofClaytonNC.org
ONGOING LIBRARY EVENTS
- Adult Coloring Club is held EVERY 2nd and 4th Monday from 5 to 7 p.m. in the library meeting room. Coloring isn't just for kids, it can actually help adults combat stress!
- Knit Night is held EVERY 1st and 3rd Wednesday evening from 6 to 7 p.m. in the library meeting room. Knitters of all levels and ages are welcome! Please bring your own needles and yarn.
- Library Acoustic Jam is held EVERY 2nd Saturday of the month from 10 a.m. to noon. This music jam session is open to musicians of all ages and levels.
- Teen Game Night is held EVERY 2nd and 4th Thursday of the month from 4:30 to 7 p.m. Bring your own or learn to play ours with others!
- "Come as You Are" Yoga is held EVERY Tuesday from 6 to 7 p.m. Learn techniques to let your stress melt away and regain mental clarity for one hour a week. We will learn breathing, poses, meditation.
- MakerSpace, a creative space for young makers and educators, is always open in the library meeting room. You can check out our Toys & Games for in-house use at the Children's Desk. A weekly Coding Club will begin in July 2017! If you have interest in volunteering for this new event, please contact the Library Director.
- Monday Night Book Club meets every third Monday at 6 p.m. Book discussion, opinion sharing, refreshments, and lots of fun! It is open to young adult and up in age and new members are always welcome.
- Senior Book Club meets at the library weekly on Fridays at 1 p.m. This book club is in partnership with the Clayton Center for Active Aging. For more information, please email firstname.lastname@example.org
- J Club (ages 7-12) meets every third Thursday at 6 p.m. in the meeting room from September through May. See Miss Mary in the Children's Room to pick up a book! Meets September through May.
WEEKLY STORY TIMES
EVERY Wednesday at 10 a.m. Stories, crafts and special guests designed for preschool age children. Meets year-round
EVERY Tuesday from 4:30 p.m. to 5:30 p.m. Stories, crafts and special guests designed for kindergarten to 5th-grade students. Meets year-round.
EVERY Thursday at 10:15 a.m. Baby songs, stories, giggles and rhymes for children 2 years and under with their caregivers. Meets August through May.
FRIENDS OF THE LIBRARY BOOK SALE
Best bargains in Town: a whole grocery bag of books for practically nothing! Every spring and fall, the non-profit Friends of the Library host a book sale at Hocutt-Ellington Memorial Library to help support the Clayton Library. Learn more about this great event and how your bargains will benefit your library! The Friends of the Library holds general meetings at 4:00 p.m. on the 4th Thursday of January, July and October. All are welcome!
SPRING 2017 FALL 2017
March 17, 4-7 : $25 per bag September 8, 4-7 : $25 per bag
March 18, 8-2 : $15 per bag September 9, 8-2 : $15 per bag
March 20, 4-7 : $10 per bag September 10, 4-7 : $10 per bag
Book donations for sales are accepted year-round. If you're considering donating items, please read the Friends of the Library Inc. Book Sale Donation Guidelines. Thank you for all of your donations!
SUMMER READING PROGRAM
Join us for our 2017 Summer Reading Program which kicks off Saturday, June 17, at 10 a.m. and runs through Saturday, July 29. This Collaborative Summer Library Program is a statewide coordinated program that encourages all ages to continue to improve their reading skills during the months when school is not in session. Events will be held every Monday & Wednesday at 10:00 a.m. with teen events on Thursday evenings from 4:30-7:00 p.m. The full scheduled will be available in early May. 2017 Slogan: Build a Better World! Theme: Architecture, Building, Construction
What would you like to see at your local library? Nonfiction Evening Book Club, Weekly Teen Writing Circle, Technology Open Tutoring Session, Saturday Family Story Time, English Conversation Club/ Conversacion en Ingles, Family History for Beginners??? Let us know by emailing us at ClaytonLibrary@TownofClaytonNC.org